About Me

My photo
Peginterferon-Ribavirin, Failed it twice. Incivek, Failed it. Sovaldi Olysio, failed it. Harvoni, failed it... Transplant Patient Zepatier and Sovaldi...we'll find out!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Reasonable reason



I guess it would help if I explain why I’m writing this, why I feel so strongly about it, and why I need your help to spread the word regarding the dangers of viral hepatitis, and to promote causes that can facilitate it's eradication.

My name doesn't really matter, so call me Bonhomme. I was born under relatively normal first born c-section circumstances, except for a microscopic difference. I am one of the few vertical transfers, which means my mother had Hepatitis C, and gave it to me once I was born. My brother and father do not have it, it’s not genetic, it’s not an STD, it’s a bloodborne pathogen which means it is transferred only through blood to blood contact.

It’s a strange virus and doesn’t affect everyone the same, it attacks the liver, causing hepatitis (hence it’s name.) Generally speaking the virus can cause: Jaundice (yellowing of the skin/eyes brown by the cuticles), fatigue, chirosis, fibrosis, liver cancer, abdominal pain, dark urine/stool, loss of apetite, nausea, vomiting. What does all of that mean? It means If you’ve got Hepatitis, you’re gonna have a bad time.

Due to the nature of a deteriorating liver, transplants are often necessary(it doesn’t cure the virus, just prolongs life) but even with transplant the life expectancy is decreased. For myself I was staring at timer that say death before fifty… now some of you medical professionals or Wikipedia experts are going to question that, because given what I’ve said it should be before sixty. The catch is that I have not only the hardest of the hardest to cure types… I also have developed esophageal varicies, due to my deteriorating liver.

I’m not the worst case of this…shituation, but I’m in that bracket. I’m also classified as a non-responder.
What’s a non-responder? In this case it’s someone who has not responded to treatment…. In my case it’s twice I’ve failed… so here we go third time’s the charm! Each treatment has been progressively stronger.
So here we go, here’s to forty eight weeks of feeling terrible, and to going from Hepatitis C to Hepatitis Free…

3 comments:

  1. Wow i had no idea tthe severity of what you were and are going through. I knew you had that illness but didnt really understand it. I am so sorry you are having to go through so much pain , stress and difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'est La Vie,
    Life gives you a hand, and you play as best you can.
    Strive to make your plans, they'll fall down just as you stand.
    I shall not wallow in the pity, or fear oncoming pain.
    For what i seek is gritty, it's tough to make the gains.
    Push past despair, press on with all my might, so that i can knock down failure before it takes to fight.

    Heh, felt like writing my thoughts a little more fluid there...but in other words, i am glad that i am going through it, and not someone with a less sunny disposition.

    You understand well the luck of the draw, it's not easy, but if you keep being awesome it aint so bad.

    ReplyDelete