About Me

My photo
Peginterferon-Ribavirin, Failed it twice. Incivek, Failed it. Sovaldi Olysio, failed it. Harvoni, failed it... Transplant Patient Zepatier and Sovaldi...we'll find out!

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Dear Fast food

Dear Fast-food,
When I was a kid, I used to love you. Unusual combinations of tasty treats, perfectly done cheeseburgers and magical pizzas.
But as I've grown older I'm afraid we need to take a break. While you catered to fat content and calorie intake labeling you neglected one big problem. And unfortunately it's kind of a deal breaker. over the last year I've realized the importance of watching sodium levels, I had no idea it was the source of my yo-yoing weight (going from 150 to 190lbs in less than two months isn't healthy nor is the reverse). My liver condition makes me extra cautious of sodium, and I try to keep it at about 1,000-1,500 mg per day.

But the thing is... even if I ate what is normally healthy (2,300mg) I still would be unable to eat any of your finely crafted foods! With the average American consuming morethan 3,400 mg of sodium per day, it's no wonder childhood and adult obesity is such a problem.

I'm not alone in my low sodium needs, it turns out children, seniors, and others overall accounting for nearly half of Americans are in the same boat. with the rise of fatty Liver disease (and NASH later in life), I can't be seen with you until you drop that sodium level, to a responsible amount.

What do I mean by responsible?
if you serve an item, which is 20% of typical calorie intake, keep the others in balance too. When Fat/Sodium/Cal are all kept at the same ratio of their respective daily intake it helps, I'm not suggested a menu overhaul, but rather a heart and liver healthy option. Potassium (cloride) is salternative however it too should be kept in balance if added.

Because when it comes down to it, if I'm on a road trip, I don't have many options. And I hate feeling that dirty feeling after an indulging meal. I love what we had, fast food...maybe we'll see each other again someday.
-Rick Nash

No comments:

Post a Comment